English speakers talk about the weather a lot! It’s a common topic of small talk. This lesson shows many words and phrases that we use when talking about rainy weather vocabulary.
Words Related to RAIN
- Heavy/ Constant/ Steady/ Pouring rain/ Downpour is a lot of rain in a short time.
- Light/ Gentle rain/ Drizzle means not heavy rain.
- Rainfall is the amount of rain which falls.
- Deluge is a severe flood.
- Rainstorm is a storm with heavy rain.
- A drop of rain/ a droplet/ a raindrop is a single drop of rain.
- Shower is a short period of rain or snow.
Phrases to Describe Rainy Weather
1. It’s raining.
2. It’s spitting.
3. It’s drizzling.
4. It’s been raining on and off all day.
5. It’s pouring.
6. It’s really coming down out there!
7. Take your umbrella. It looks like it’s going to rain.
8. I’ve had enough of all this rain!
9. We got caught in a downpour.
10. Let’s stay inside until the rain lets up
11. I got soaking wet.
12. The forecast calls for scattered showers.
13. It’s raining cats and dogs
14. It’s raining sideways