School idioms in English are popular with students and teachers alike. Below are some of the most commonly used English idioms relating to school.
School Idioms List
Here is a list of 15 popular School Idioms in English and their meaning.
Someone who reads a lot
- Brainstorm something
To think of new ideas
- Skip class
To not go to school when you should
- Teacher’s pet
The teacher’s favorite student
- As easy as ABC
- Cover a lot of ground
Complete a lot of material in a class
- Eager beaver
Someone who works hard and is very enthusiastic
Someone who copies the work of another person
To stop attending school
- Pass with flying colors
To experience particular trouble or difficulty
- A for effort!
Recognizing that someone tried hard to accomplish something although they might not have been successful
- Learn by heart
To memorize something completely
- Play hooky
To skip school
- Put your thinking cap on
Think in a serious manner
- Show of hands
Raising hands to vote about something
School Idiom Examples
Some Idiom Examples will help you understand the meaning of those school idioms.
- I was a real bookworm when I was a child.
- The team got together to brainstorm.
- Let’s skip class and go to the beach.
- I think he is a teacher’s pet.
- He managed to cover a lot of ground in a short talk.
- You’re just a copycat!
- He was a loner and a dropout.
- I knew you’ll pass with flying colors.
- We need to learn by heart more words.
- I would play hooky every day if I could.
- They chose their monitor by a show of hands.
- Calm down! You’re such an eager beaver!