Neither nor (not this one and not that one) is used in negative constructions. Neither … nor makes a negative statement about two people or things. In this lesson, we will learn how to use Neither … nor in English and show some example sentences.
Using NEITHER NOR
- Neither is used as a conjunction. Neither nor is a correlative conjunction.
- This structure, neither … nor, is used to connect the same kind of word or phrase in the sentence.
- Neither nor makes a negative statement about two people or things.
We can use neither as conjunction with nor. It connects two or more negative alternatives. This can sound formal in speaking.
- He has neither talent nor the desire to learn.
- Neither he nor his friends came back.
- The weather is mild today, it is neither hot nor cold.
- Neither pen nor pencil can express.
- We can neither change nor improve it.
- She seemed neither surprised nor worried.
- Hilary was neither shocked nor surprised by the news.
- She had neither the time nor the inclination to help them.
- Some beggars are neither poverty-stricken nor homeless.
- There was neither food nor drink.
- Neither you nor I can be held responsible.
- I neither know nor care what’s happened to him.
- Their house is neither big nor small.
- Neither Anna nor I am interested in high finance.
- He likes his tea neither too hot nor too cold.
- The hotel is neither spacious nor comfortable.
- I can give you neither an opinion nor any advice.
- The equipment is neither accurate nor safe.
How to Use NEITHER NOR | Infographic
Using Neither Nor in English Sentences