Prepositions List!!! Here is a huge English Prepositions List. This prepositions list will help you understand what a preposition is and show you some useful preposition examples.
What is a Preposition?
Among the 9 parts of speech, the preposition is one of the most important parts of a sentence.
A preposition is a word used to link nouns, pronouns, or phrases to other words within a sentence. They act to connect the people, objects, time and locations of a sentence.
A preposition is a word such as ‘by’, ‘for’, ‘into’, or ‘with’ which usually has a noun group as its object.
Prepositions List | Prepositions Examples
Learn English Prepositions List with Examples. Below are some preposition examples in English.
- About – She said something about leaving town.
- Above – He raised his arms above his head.
- Across – They ran straight across the road.
- After – Remember to close the door after you.
- Against – Every council member voted against the proposal.
- Along – We were driving along Follyfoot Road.
- Among – The girl quickly disappeared among the crowd.
- Around – The whole family was sitting around the dinner table.
- At – Does this train stop at Preston?
- Before – Larry arrived home before me.
- Behind – The plane disappeared behind a cloud.
- Between – You shouldn’t eat between meals.
- Beyond – The ban has been extended beyond 2003.
- But – I could come any day but Thursday.
- By – The fox is known by his brush.
- Concerning – We have several questions concerning the report.
- Despite – Despite all our efforts to save the school, the authorities decided to close it.
- Down – Tears were streaming down my face.
- During – During the summer she worked as a lifeguard.
- Except – The office is open every day except Sundays.
- Following – Following the national news, we have local news and weather.
- For – We need a new battery for the radio.
- From – She flew from New York to London.
- In – My mother was in the kitchen.
- Including – All on the plane were killed, including the pilot.
- Into – Come into the office.
- Like – Her hair is dark brown like mine.
- Near – They live near London.
- Of – Words are the voice of the heart.
- Off – Will someone switch the radio off?
- On – People were sunbathing on the grass.
- Onto – The car rolled over onto its side.
- Out – She ran out the door and down the street.
- Over – A lamp hung over the table.
- Past – The hospital’s just up this road, about a mile past the school.
- Plus – Three plus six equals nine.
- Since – We’ve been waiting here since two o’clock.
- Throughout – The disease spread rapidly throughout Europe.
- To – Are you ready to start?
- Towards – He was standing with his back towards me.
- Under – Write your name under your picture.
- Until – The ticket is valid until March.
- Up – We walked slowly up the hill.
- Upon – We are completely dependent upon your help.
- Up to – I’ll leave it up to you.
- With – I saw Bob in town with his girlfriend.
- Within – I will be back within an hour.
- Without – He had gone out without his parents’ permission.
List of Prepositions | Picture
Prepositions List – List of Prepositions in English