Another vs Other vs the Other. What is the Difference between Another, Other, and the other? This lesson helps you learn how to use these words correctly in your sentences.
Another vs Other vs the Other
When to Use ANOTHER
Another is used with singular countable nouns. It means one more, an alternative.
- Can you manage another piece of cake?
- You wouldn’t remember me. I was in another group.
- He tried his fortune in another city.
When to Use OTHER
Other is used with plural or uncountable nouns. It means different, additional or extra.
- Does life exist on other planets?
- We disputed with each other on various issues.
- I’m sorry, but I have other plans.
When to Use THE OTHER
The other is used with singular nouns, plural nouns, countable or uncountable nouns. It means the second of two things, people or animals.
- Sally is starting to play with the other children.
- While the other children played together, Ted ignored them.
- The grass is greener on the other side.